Friday, October 24, 2014

My Sweet Lou

So I debated all week rather or not to address something that happened in my family last Saturday. I wasn't sure if I should talk about it and if I do, I need to make sure I get the story right. And then I saw my sister's blog and she talked about it so I feel like maybe I should address it too.
 
This is in the words of my sister Kara from her blog. I just copied and pasted and let her tell it from her point of view. After you read it, I will tell you how I found out and my reaction:

"""So, after the party, we headed to Flower Mound to stay with my parents.  They had a dinner party to go to Saturday night, so Tim and the kids and I ordered dinner in and just vegged out on the couch.  I put Hayden to bed, and Landry kept telling me she was tired, so I put her in on my parent’s bed and put her TV on and left her in there.  My parents came home around 10, and they went into their room to get ready for bed.  My dad said Landry was asleep when they walked in, so he started nudging her to move over so he could lay with her.  It was then, that we got a shock.  Landry started convulsing and shaking and not talking.  My dad screamed for me to come in there and when I turned that corner I was immediately brought back to when she was 13 months old and I got the call from Tim that she was being taken to Children’s hospital.  My dad and Tim got cold rags for her and I called 911.  They came within 3 minutes and at that time; she was still convulsing and not speaking.  They took her temperature and it had gotten up to 103.7!  So, they said they would need to take her by ambulance to the hospital.  They loaded her up on the stretcher and she and I rode in the ambulance while Tim and my dad followed.  I cannot begin to explain what it is like seeing your child on a stretcher in an ambulance.  I tried to stay as calm as I could for Landry’s sake.  She finally came to in the ambulance but was so scared, so I just stayed with her and held her hand the whole ride there.  We got to the hospital and she was admitted into a room where we waited for 2 hours while they gave her fluids and medicine and took some tests.  It was a febrile seizure, which is what I had already known.  Her body just spiked a super high fever really fast and it didn’t handle it well.  I was so glad once they said we could take her home.  She was so brave!  She is so resilient and I’m so glad that all turned out well.  I told her she wasn’t allowed to give mommy a scare like that again."""



So I know none of this. I wake up to a text Sunday morning from my sister saying "Did mom or dad tell you what happened to Lou last night?" (I call Landry, Lou btw) so I tell her no and she proceeds to tell me that same story from her blog in not so many words. You have to understand something, Landry and I have a very special relationship. I love all of my nieces and nephews exactly the same but there's something about Landry that I am just really close too. Could be from all those years I got to keep her and we just formed this bond. So when I found out about this, my heart went into my throat. I didn't know rather to cry or pray or wake Bobby and scare him. I just knew I had to get to her and hold her. And that's what I did. I sent Bobby on to church, I got ready and raced over to see her. I walk in and just grab her. I did my best to not cry. I cry SUPER easy (like I have tears right now writing this post) but I wanted to just let her know I loved her. I'm pretty sure I squeezed her tightly because she started giggling and asking me why I was holding her so tight! I said "Landry, I never want to let you go!" and she just laughed. I ended up staying there all day and having a wonderful time on the patio at my parents house and talking with my mom and sister. And drinking wine of course!  
 
 
 

If you don't know what a febrile seizure is, according to http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm, a febrile seizure is convulsions brought on by a fever in infants or small children. During a febrile seizure, a child often loses consciousness and shakes, moving limbs on both sides of the body. Less commonly, the child becomes rigid or has twitches in only a portion of the body, such as an arm or a leg, or on the right or the left side only. Most febrile seizures last a minute or two, although some can be as brief as a few seconds while others last for more than 15 minutes. The majority of children with febrile seizures have rectal temperatures greater than 102 degrees Fahrenheit. Most febrile seizures occur during the first day of a child's fever. Children prone to febrile seizures are not considered to have epilepsy, since epilepsy is characterized by recurrent seizures that are not triggered by fever. Approximately one in every 25 children will have at least one febrile seizure, and more than one-third of these children will have additional febrile seizures before they outgrow the tendency to have them. Febrile seizures usually occur in children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years and are particularly common in toddlers. Children rarely develop their first febrile seizure before the age of 6 months or after 3 years of age. The older a child is when the first febrile seizure occurs, the less likely that child is to have more.
 
In other words, they are very common. And the child almost always come out of it unharmed. They are just super scary. Kara assumes that if they had not caught it, if she had been at home in her room and no one was there to have checked on her, she would have just come out of it and they would have never known because Landry doesn't remember it. She went to sleep and woke up in an ambulance with no recollection of what just happened.
 
I just thank God everyday for her and that he did keep her safe in that time and that he did send my dad in there to check on her. God has blessed me so many times over and I just love and thank him for my family, and my Lewis family. He is the reason for everything I have and I love him for giving me her...
my sweet Lou!
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment