Friday, September 19, 2014

There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked cookies! Well...puppys breathe and a new baby come close but cookies...definitely cookies!!

True Statement!
 
If you don't like the smell of fresh baked cookies, we can't be friends! Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's true. When I went gluten free, losing cakes, cupcakes, pies and cookies was incredibly hard for me. Especially the homemade kind. I am never one for getting dessert out at a restaurant, but when it comes to people baking things homemade, I love it. It takes me back to when I was a little girl and my mom would make fresh baked chocolate cookies. OMG hers were the best. And they weren't the store bought kind. She made them from scratch. I can still smell them and remember being in the kitchen with her when they came out and she would always warn me and my dad that we would burn the roof of our mouth if we didn't wait a few minutes.
"But MaaaaMm...I have waited 30 minutes for you to make these, you want me to wait another 5? I Don't Think Sooo"
 
So this leads me into this post.
My homemade gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
If you have a nut allergy, are allergic to dairy and can't eat eggs, I am sorry...this is not for you!
 
 
 
Here are the ingredients you will need:
1/2 cup unsalted cashews
1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1/2 cup of sugar (we use either Stevia or Truvia to lower the calorie and sugar content to keep them healthier)
1 cup gluten free rolled oats (I love Bob's Red Mill)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons applesauce (again we use sugar free kind)
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup of chocolate chips (ok...so I always use more than this. but this is a good measurement for a person that likes just a touch of chocolate in their cookies)
Parchment paper
Baking sheet
Mixing bowl
Blender or food processor
 
 


 
Preheat the oven to 350*
 
In a blender or food processor, mix all the dry ingredients until they form into a meal like form. (this would include the cashews, almonds, oats, sugar, baking powder, & salt)


 
In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the wet ingredients. (this would include the coconut oil, applesauce, milk, vanilla, & eggs)
 
A piece of advice on the coconut oil, make sure the oil is in a liquid form instead of a solid form. A quick 10 seconds in the microwave can do it for you. If the coconut oil is not in a liquid form, it will clump up when you try to mix it all together.


 
Once all the wet is mixed, pour the dry into the wet and fold it together until it is combined.


 
After it is all mixed together, you can then add the chocolate chips.


 
I recently found these perfect sized parchment papers that fit directly on my cookie sheet. The batter will give you enough for about 12 good sized cookies. You can make them smaller if you want and maybe get about 18.
 

 
Drop the cookies onto the lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on size of cookies and your oven. I always know they are done when they spring in the middle and the ends are perfectly golden brown.


 
Because I make mine so large, they tend to flat out like this. So don't freak out if you pull them out and they look smushed, they taste amazing! You can also take them flat like this, put a large marshmallow in the middle and microwave for about 15 seconds and you have made a gluten free s'more!







 
Another quick piece of advice to keep them super moist, after they have cooled (about 10 minutes) place them in a container with an air tight lid. They will stay moist for about a week if you keep the lid on and only take it off to eat one.  
 
These also taste great with peanut butter chips instead of chocolate. Or you could use white chocolate if you are fan of that.
 
So you remember my mom always telling me that I need to wait a few minutes because they will burn the roof of my mouth...well now it is me telling my husband to wait! He would even lick the bowl that had the batter in it if I let him. So now all I hear around my house is...
"Damn it Dani...why do you make these? I can't stop eating them!"
 
You're welcome love :) :) :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment