Thursday, September 11, 2014

"Start spreading the news. I'm leaving today. I wanna be part of it. New York, New York..."

So in honor of 9/11, I thought it was only right to start my New York trip post today. I took a lot of pictures so in order for you to see them, I am going to do day by day for the next 3 days I post. Today I will start with Friday, the day we went. Tomorrow I will do Saturday and next Monday I will do Sunday, the day of the wedding. 
Btw: I took over 700 photos before I got home. I dwindled it down to 350. Hence why I am doing 3 different post, and no I will not put everyone on here. Just a few from each day that are my favs. 

The whole reason we went to New York was because one of Bobby's really good friends was getting married and since it was right around our anniversary, we thought WHY NOT! Never been, could be fun, could be a disaster. We decided to go on Friday so we could have a day to ourselves, since we didn't know what they were going to need from us Saturday as far as rehearsal since Bobby was a groomsmen. So I made reservations at Nobu57 because I heard amazing things about them and thought maybe I could spot some celebrities. I told myself if I did, I wouldn't make a fool out of myself. That they are people too out for a nice dinner and don't want to be bothered. Just somehow find a way to get their picture without interrupting them. Unless it was Brad and Angelina, then I might have been arrested! So we took a 7am flight into LGA, got off the airplane, got our bags and found the line for a taxi. I had been in a taxi before when we went to Vegas but never like this. I have never seen so many taxi's before. They were all lined up like a never ending ride you see at Disney. And let me tell you, if you have never been in one, it feels like you are on a roller coaster. They go fast, slow, turn left, turn right, speed up, slam on brakes, cut people off, get cut off, and somehow never wreck or get bumped or anything. 

Hello New York! I am on my way....



The street where we were staying, the taxi couldn't get to, so he was nice enough to pull over, tell us and show us the way to our hotel. So we hopped out, grabbed our bags and made our way down 55th. We stayed in Manhattan, 55th and 6th at the Shoreham. (great location to be in btw, close to everything!). We checked in, had to wait on our room for a few hours so decided to have the hotel hold our luggage and took off walking. I had a friend who had been to NY before show me a map of where I would want to go. Luckily, we were so close to 6th and 5th ave. it really made it easy to get around. I knew I wanted to go to Times Square so Bobby found it on his phone and we started walking. Never thought I would run into so many different things on our way, but I was glad I did. Here are the pictures I took on our walk, in order of how our walk went.

The huge LOVE was on 6th street and 55th. Right where we were. Then we headed south on 6th street, towards Times Square and Broadway. 



















Since we went back the same way we came, it didn't make sense to take pictures again. We checked into our hotel, both of us took a nap because we were exhausted, woke up and got ready for dinner. I thought since it was my anniversary dinner, I wouldn't take my camera. The restaurant was 2 blocks over and we were walking straight to it and back. But I did snap a selfie before I left...I wanted to make sure if I did run into a celebrity, I looked my best. Not that my husband isn't enough of an excuse to get dressed up, I wanted to make sure I was on my game! :) :) :) 



 And my favorite photo that day is this one. Me and my love in front of Times Square. 



Stay tuned tomorrow for Day 2 of my New York experience where I go to Central Park and ride the Subway for the first time! 



And because it is 9/11, I just want to take a moment of prayer for the people we lost that day. 
"Hey God, it's me Dani. I just wanted to take a moment to send up my love to you and to thank you for all you have given me in my life. 13 years ago today, our country was hit the hardest we have ever been hit. A lot of questions as to why something like this would happen, why would God do this. But Lord, I don't believe you did this. This was an act done by the Devil to brake us, to make us turn away from you, to blame you and hate you. To curse you, to make us feel small and defeated. But what the Devil didn't plan on, was us uniting together and remembering our faith and our love for one another. We stood behind you and kept your name in the positive light. We lost so many lives that day because of a weak and heartless man, a man that had to go into hiding because he was afraid of what would happen to him. Lord, I pray that all the people we lost that day found their way to your loving arms, and in that moment you hugged them and kissed and welcomed them into your home. The place we all want to go one day. I pray for the families still here on earth that lost someone, I pray for their strength to journey on, I pray for their hearts to stay strong and to never lose faith in you. Thank you God for daily reminders of what love is and what love can do and how love CAN triumph over hate. I love you. It's in your name I pray, Amen!" 

A song that sticks out in my mind and I will never forget is Alan Jackson's "Where were you". Please read the lyrics below and remember that day and never forget that the greatest is LOVE. 

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out with pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?

[Chorus:]
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
You the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love


Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?

Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

[Chorus x2]

And the greatest is love.
And the greatest is love.


Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?




No comments:

Post a Comment