Wednesday, February 18, 2015

It's not you, it's Oscar!

The lights. The stage. The host. The actors. The actresses. The dresses. The makeup. The hair. The jewelry. Angelina! Brad! Bradley! Jennifer (Lawrence, not Aniston)! All of my favorite people under one roof for one night. I get such a high watching The Academy Awards. 11 years ago, Bobby took me to his high school prom and I bought these really fancy shoes. And I love them but I never wear them except for one night....Oscar night. I started this tradition 10 years ago and I won't ever stop. I won't ever sell them. I can't walk in them (Lord knows how I managed prom night) and Sunday is going to be quite interesting being 16 weeks pregnant walking to the bathroom in these but I will manage. I normally get a really nice bottle of champagne or white wine, some take out, pop popcorn, wear a dress and put on these shoes and sit on my couch and not move. No one bothers me (Bobby knows better than to interrupt me on this night). I have my cell phone out and have my mom, sister and dad on group text where we (and when I say we, I mean mom, me and Kara....Dad will give his 2 cents every so often but he loves being in the middle of us girls talking.....we are his life!) either talk about what people are wearing or talk about the speeches or I will talk about how Angelina Jolie is perfect in everyway and how her husband makes me swoon and Kara will say she's just ok knowing it pushes my button and I will either call her a bad name or tell her to shut her mouth cause those are fighting words (no one talks about Angelina and gets away with it). It's my night. My one night to enjoy all these gorgeous people and all these inspiring movies. I get asked a lot,
"If you love this night so much, why don't you ever have a party?"
and my answer is this,
"When I host a party, I host a party. I am up and moving and making sure everyone has what they need. And Oscar night is my one night I take to myself. Either I am on my couch, my mom's couch or that one time I babysat (and yes I did take my shoes), it's my night. And if I hosted a party, I would find myself rude if my butt was on the couch, telling everyone they can't speak when it's on and didn't help any of my guest."
 


 
 
Maybe one day I will host a huge Academy Awards night where everyone must dress up either in fancy clothes or dress up as their favorite nominated character. But just a warning to those who come if I ever do throw this party, if you don't see me during the production and only at commercial time; it's not you, it's Oscar!
 
This year it will be me, my couch, a mock-tail (because a bottle of Champagne won't really work), my sister's infamous cheese dip (wish I could share the recipe), chips (need something for the dip), my dogs (cause they are never far), a bag of Doritos (cause it's my indulge in whatever I want night), Mighty Mouse (he's kind of attached), a fancy dress (why not?!) and my shoes (duh)!   
 
 My mock-tail for the evening but instead of peach pear LaCroix, I will be using LaCroix coconut.
 
 
 
 
Oh and I know today is the start of Lent and you are supposed to give up something for it but I have already given up alcohol, sushi, anything smoked and caffeine, I think I am set for the year!
But I decided that I need to do something so instead of the traditional taking away, I would add something to my life everyday and what better than a scripture from the Bible. So each day I will be sharing my scripture for the day, up until Easter.
Today's comes from the book of Matthew, chapter 14, verses 13-21 (ESV)
The Feeding of the Five Thousand:
13 Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick. 15 Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, "This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves." 16 But Jesus said, "They need not go away; you give them something to eat." 17 They said to him, "We have only five loaves here and two fish." 18 And he said, "Bring them to me." 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And they all ate and were satisfied. And they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces left over. 21 And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children.
 
 
Dear God, Thank you for always giving me just what I need. You always provide for me and are always there for me. Thank you for the consistent reminder of your love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment