Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What's in a ring?

Dear Diary,

So I had to do something this morning that I never wanted to do. Like it literally took everything I had to do it and not ruin my makeup for work. I had to take my wedding rings off. To some people, it's no big deal. They take them off at night, they take them off to shower, they take them off for girls night, whatever. I DO NOT! I never take them off. The only time I do, is to go through security at the airport and I watch them like a hawk and as soon as they come out they are back on my finger like it never happened. I tried my best not to cry this morning. But I am 39 weeks pregnant today and my doctor warned me that if I don't take them off soon, they will have to get cut off and be ruined. HELL NO! 

So what is it about my ring that is so special to me? That makes me cry just to think about it sitting at home all by itself for the next couple of weeks. It symbolizes my love for my husband. It is the one thing that no one else can have from each of us. That one small token of life. The circle is the symbol for eternity, with it having no end and no beginning. The hole your finger goes through symbolizes a doorway, a passageway, into the unknown with each other. In the early Christian marriages, it is said the reason it is placed on the 4th finger is because when the priest would recite "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", he would take the ring and touch the thumb, the index finger, the middle finger and then when he said "Amen", he would seal it with the ring on the 4th finger. It is also said that the reason it is placed on the 4th finger is because there is a vein called the Vena Amoris that is a direct link from that finger to your heart. Scientists have shown this is false but what do they know :-) 

This is my ring and wedding band, taken at our wedding. 
(His is the bulky silver one). 


But beyond that, the ring to me shows other people I have someone in my life that loves me just enough to want to spend the rest of his life with. That he chose me out of all the women in the world to be his. If I go out, it shows other men that I have someone at home. I know some people don't care about a ring on the finger but to me, it's a big deal. 

So with that said, I knew I couldn't go throughout the day or weeks without wearing something on my ring finger to symbolize my marriage. A long time ago (remember, Bobby and I have been together for 11 and 1/2 years), Bobby bought me a really simple 3 stone ring. Ever since I got pregnant, I have been wearing it on my right ring finger. It's not flashy but it was my promise ring all those years ago and now that we are having a baby together, it seemed time for it come back out. But I like it on that finger and knew I didn't want to switch over. The second ring Bobby bought me was a beautiful pink heart ring. I had always wanted a pink heart ring. But it was bought to be worn on my middle finger. But guess what.....because it is a little big, it fits perfectly on my ring finger. So that is what I chose to wear the next couple of weeks, till I can get my rings back on my finger.  
So now I don't have to go through my days without a symbol to look at, without a reminder of that promise made almost 4 years ago to me. 



Today we are 39 weeks. I can't believe it. MM is the size of a small watermelon or a small pumpkin and should weigh around 7 to 7 and 1/2 pounds. He is moving around like crazy and likes to kick me in ribs every day. He sticks his butt out a lot and he is for sure head down. I go to the doctor this afternoon so we will see if any updates! Not much longer Mighty Mouse, for either one of us! 
(Notice the swollen ankle, still can't for the life of me get my ankle to heal or go down so not only do I waddle, but I limp)

Love, Me 

No comments:

Post a Comment