Tuesday, August 26, 2014

"When you came in the air went out and every shadow filled up with doubt. I dont know who you think you are but before the night is through...I wanna do bad things with you"

Well it's over. It's done. One of my all time favorite shows is no more. I am not a re-run watcher so the fact of me watching another episode just for the sake of it, probably won't ever happen. My glory days of True Blood are gone.
 
If you have not watched the last episode, please don't read if you don't want to know what happened. There will be spoilers so read if you must.
 
And this is my take on the last episode. It's ok if you don't agree with me or think I'm wrong. Or if you don't even watch the show but are just curious to how to all ended...here we go!
 
I have watched True Blood since day 1. I have been hooked since day 1. It always seemed to keep my attention for the 7 years it was on. There were ups and downs and multiple deaths. Some deaths I will never understand, Alcide, and some deaths I was so excited about. But with all the changes they kept doing, one thing remained the same. Even if the characters were at odds, the love between Sookie Stackhouse and Bill Compton never changed. It was something I could always count on to remain true to the end. So when I found out that Bill got sick with Hep-V, I never in my life thought he would die. I thought that Sookie and Bill would be the constant I knew. Up until the last 5 minutes, I still thought somehow they would end up together.
 
But let's start at the beginning of the episode. Honestly the first 40 minutes of the show were quite boring. It was a bunch of chapters closing, and that I understand. When you get to the end of a book, you want to know where everyone ends up.
I love how Jessica and Hoyt got married and the fact that Bill could walk her down the isle. And the fact that Andy got to perform the ceremony was fantastic. Jessica and Andy have come a long way due to the fact that she killed 3 out of 4 of his daughters. So the fact of him being the preacher was such a wonderful conclusion to that relationship. I love that Jason and Hoyt are back in each others lives. The whole Jessica, Hoyt and Jason relationship ended how it should. Jessica and Hoyt were each others first loves and have always had this connection. Jason was never going to marry Jessica, even though I wanted it to happen. But after seeing Jessica back with Hoyt, I felt like that was right. That's the way it needed to end. Plus, Jason ended up married with 3 children (to Hoyt's ex-fiancé go figure) so his chapter closed beautifully too.


Being the last episode, I knew the whole mafia thing with Pam and Eric was going to end very quickly. Pam and Eric weren't in the episode much, which disappointed me cause Pam is my favorite character. But I do love that they are the ones who ended up with the antidote to Hep-V and made a commercial about it at the end. And that Sarah will end up living in her own hell with Pam and Eric since she is the antidote. It was a great way to end that.


Sam had left the episode before this one because he felt he needed to get away with his new baby momma. He needed to leave that poisoned town and start a new life. I honestly didn't see it coming. I thought he would pick the town that he loved. But I was ok with his decision. His character had slowly been sinking into the back ground anyways so I think they made a smart decision about that.

So back to Sookie and Bill. He asked her at the beginning of the episode to use her True Light to kill him. That way it would be taken away from her and she would never be in harms way again. Her fairy powers would be gone and she would be safe. The only thing Sookie has wanted all along is a "normal" life and Bill knew he could not give it to her. He had lived so long and had seen his previous family die that for the first time since he had been changed, he actually felt human. To the point where Sookie could read his mind, which she has never been able to do. Sookie told him she would not kill him, that she couldn't do it. She heads over to the church to speak to the preacher and he gives her some wonderful advice. About staying true to herself and loving who she is. The preacher thanks her for saving the town and she leaves. She gets in her car and calls Bill. She tells him she will do it. So they meet at the cemetery where his old grave had been dug up. Inside his casket was a picture of him and his daughter. I STILL AT THIS POINT DID NOT THINK SHE WOULD KILL HIM! She cast her spirit and at the last second tells him she cant do it. She can't give him her light. Her light is what she is and she can't loose that. So she grabs a shove, brakes it in 2 and jumps in the grave with him.

He's already laying in the casket so she sits on top of him, they share one last kiss, tell each other they love each other and he helps her kill him. The stake goes in very slowly and then bam! He burst into a glob of blood as she is sitting there crying! I seriously watched in disbelief. I really don't know how I didn't cry. I pondered on it all night about how they could do that. How could they kill someone who has been on it since day 1 like that. She gets out of the grave and cry's as she fills it with dirt. She walks out of there and turns around one last time and then walks home.
 
We see 3 years later and Sookie is hosting a dinner party. She is pregnant and cooking. She goes out to meet everyone and its this amazing image of everyone who is still alive sitting at the dinner table. We see Sookie kiss someone who I can imagine is the new husband but they don't ever show who he is. I don't believe he is important enough. She wanted normal and this is her normal. In order for her to have it, Bill had to die. It's so poetic and about 3/4 of me believes that what happen, needed to happen. He loved her so much that he gave up his life for her to have a better one. I can't imagine a more loving act than that.
 
Thank you True Blood for all the years. You made all the non-normal stuff seem so normal and fun. I will miss you and your weird ways. And thank you for reminding how in the end, True Love is what matters most.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment