Monday, October 5, 2015

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go!

Today I have officially started back to work. Before I had Brody, I never saw coming back to work a big deal. I have worked since I was 14 and I like working. It's good for the brain and I feel like it keeps me going. 

Last July, I talked with Bobby about going part-time when we had children. I knew I couldn't stop working all together but I knew I didn't want to work full time and feel like I was missing out. (nothing against you full time moms.....I have all the respect in the world for you and hold you all on a pedestal for it). At the time we couldn't afford it and I wasn't even pregnant. April of this year, Bobby told me if I wanted to go part-time I could. He understood where I was coming from and since we were moving to Mansfield, it would just be easier. I still thought coming back to work would be easy enough. 

I worked up till my due date. I actually worked a 12 hour day the day before I had Brody. Then I had Brody and my world changed. It's funny how that happens. You think one way but God takes your brain down another path. And because I had a c-section, I knew I would get 8 weeks paid maternity leave. The government allows you to legally take 12 weeks as in your company can not fire you for 12 weeks after having your baby. 

Before Brody, I told my job 6 weeks. 

After Brody, I told them 8 weeks. I contemplated 12 weeks but I thought if I went that long, I wouldn't go back. Brody is 9 weeks tomorrow so I guess you could say I took 9 weeks. 

Another issue I had coming back to work was who was going to keep Brody while I worked? Bobby thought he could do it. But Brody isn't the best sleeper and really likes to be involved in what we are doing and Bobby works way to hard for Brody to be interrupting his day. My mom doesn't start keeping him till January so we were kind of stuck. What do we do? We knew of a friend of a friend who kept children and thought about taking him there. 

Which brings us to Saturday, as in 2 days ago Saturday. 

Kara had Hayden's 2nd birthday party and Bobby, Kara, Kristen and I were sitting around a small table talking. My phone rings and it is that friend of a friend on the other line. My sister asked Bobby what was going on and he explained to her that we were needing someone to keep him while I worked the 2 days. Kara had originally told Bobby (when Bobby was going to keep him) that if he needed any help, to drop Brody off with her. She is a stay at home mom and would love to spend time with him. Back to Saturday....the look on her face when he told her that was priceless. You could see the wheels turning. I had actually stepped outside to talk with the lady about her place. On the drive home, Bobby told me that Kara had said that she wanted to keep him. But wasn't sure if we would want her to. 

So I texted Kara and asked her if she was for real with this. If this was something she wanted to do. That I didn't want to get in the way of her and Hayden and all that. She was more than thrilled we wanted her and just like that, my Brody man is going to stay with his Aunt Kara and Hayden on Monday's and Tuesday's. 

When Landry was Brody's age, I use to keep her on Thursday's. It was our day together. And it created this ever lasting bond. And now Brody will have this with Kara. And her with him. 

PEOPLE.....I could not be more pleased or happy about this. I just knew I was going to be in tears all weekend, dreading coming back to work, knowing my little man is out there somewhere with someone who doesn't love him like I do. (OK, no one loves him like I do but you know what I mean). And I didn't cry once this weekend. Nor on the drive into work. I was totally fine. Which is what I have been praying about. 

Points to be made:
1) Yes I know I am only part time and that makes it easier on me. I don't need to keep getting reminded of it. Rather I leave him for an hour or 9 hours, it is still hard.  
2) I know I need to step away from him for a few hours and him with me. He's already a momma's boy and these hours away will make our bond that much greater. 
3) I forgot how much I hated traffic! 
4) When did it get so dark out at 7am? I left the house at 6:15 and drove in the dark the whole way here. And since I've been up since 2:30am, it made the drive so much harder.
5) Coffee taste so good when you are running on 3 hours of sleep. Coffee just taste good period and the fact that I can drink it again, makes me so happy. 
6) My husband is thrilled to have a quiet house to work in. No wife talking baby talk in the living room or a baby screaming while he's on the phone with a client. Enjoy your quiet time boo because come Wednesday, we are back in the house!
7) Did I mention how excited I am my sister is keeping my munchkin? 
8) I really do have a gorgeous view to look at. And I love how God gave me a pink sunrise this morning to remind me of how much he loves me and is always with me. 


Kara, 
I can not begin to thank you for doing this for us. Knowing he is with you makes me so happy. You are such a good mom and such a great sister. Brody is so lucky to have you as an aunt. Have lots of fun with him! Love you sis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment