Wednesday, February 7, 2018

It's my face after all!

I want to tell you a story about something that happened to me back in November. It's not a sob story or anything tragic, but it did happen and if it ever happens to you, maybe I can help you in some way. 


I have always had what society calls "good skin". From my coloring, to the way I tan, to how clear my face is (like no blemishes and stuff). Of course I get the occasional period pimple, I would be a freak if I didn't, but on the grand scale, I have fantastic skin. Now, it is more on the sensitive side but I don't believe in using harsh chemicals on your face. I also wash clothes in Tide Free and Downy Free (I have since I got married). And why did I tell you that....cause it's important to the story. 

When I was pregnant with Brody, my skin was fine. I didn't get any weird hair or blemishes or reactions. Nothing. 

Then I got pregnant this second time. And my skin went to shit (sorry Mom).
Like it took a turn for the worst. I literally couldn't wear anything nor be around anything with any kind of scent, smell, flavor. Everything gave me a reaction. Before I got pregnant, I started using Honest fabric softener because I love the smell. And I used it on towels and blankets and nothing was off about my skin. I believe I was about 14 weeks (maybe 15) when I noticed something starting to really happen to me. My face exploded. At first I thought it was the pregnancy. Like a hormonal overload and my skin couldn't keep up. But I noticed it was only really happening at night and by 2pm the next day, I had gotten it better. But every night got worse and worse. This was around Thanksgiving so my doctor was gone. It was that next Monday I was finally able to get a hold of her and she said it sounded like I was having an allergic reaction to a chemical of some sort. So we started chatting about all the things I use on a daily basis. She told me to stop using my makeup and to throw it away and get new (which needed to be done anyways cause it was getting old so I didn't have a problem with that). She told me to stop using whatever face wash and lotion I was using and told me to get with someone at a beauty store to help find me the easiest, softest, light weight wash/cream that I could. Then she said to stop using the Honest. Because it was getting worse at night, it sounded like a reaction to the blanket I was sleeping with. To rewash EVERYTHING back in the Tide and Downy and see if any of this helps. So I did everything she said. Within 2 days, my skin was 50% better. Within a week, my skin was back 95%. It did take a good 2 weeks to fully get my good skin back. 

Now I know I'm pregnant and that has a lot to do with what happened to me. But because it did happen, it forced me to look into what I was using and find better products for myself. It's my face after all and I am only given this one!

I am about to share with you my pictures I took so you can see what I am talking about. And I am going to share with you the beauty products I have been using for about 2 months now, that has changed my life and my skin. 

These were at the worst of it. Not only was there pimples, but my skin was burned. 



This was 2 days later. After stopping everything and using the new products. Pimples were still there but no burning and the redness was better.



This was a week later. Redness gone and pimples almost all gone. I had a few rough patches where the burns were but those were gone a week later. (This is like the worst mug shot. I need to smile more).




So what did I use to help the pimples and redness and irritation go away? Let me share with you the items I can't live without anymore. 

Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash- this stuff is gold to me. I can't live without this. It is the best face wash I have ever had. I have even gotten other people hooked on it. It doesn't take a lot and it smells like peppermint. It goes on easy and creamy and washes away easy too. It is $23. 

Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter- and it is simply like butter. It is a thick moisturizer but not so thick you fill it on your face moments later. It's thick as in it's moisturizing and you can feel it soaking up the dryness (if that makes sense). The girl at Sephora HIGHLY recommend this for someone who has sensitive skin and but needs something thicker. And she wasn't wrong. It is $40. 

Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask- I use this 2 times a week, in place of my moisturizer. And I only use it twice a week because it is thick and a mask but it's not the kind of mask you wash off. It even recommends it only a few times a week. I use it on days I notice I am extra dry or my skin needs an extra something. It is $27.

Origins Dr. Andrew WEIL Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Advanced Face Serum- This stuff is to help redness and improve overall texture and tone of my skin. It doesn't take a lot and it's expensive. Not going to lie. But you use a dime size amount (about one to two pumps) for your whole face. I use it every other night because it is so expensive. It is $73. 

Boscia Exfoliating Peel Gel- So I can't do chemical peels or exfoliating products because they are too harsh for my skin. The brush rubs me raw and I'm left hurting. But I knew I had dead skin and no way to get it off. In comes this product. It's the softest exfoliation gel ever. It doesn't have stuff in it (like beads). It takes the dead skin off without harming your actual skin. You can literally feel your dead skin coming off but no irritation. I use this twice a week. It is $34. 


I want y'all to know that Origins is having a 20% off sale right now. Plus if you spend over $65, you can receive Free full size cleanser. Use code FAMILY at checkout. Also free shipping with any order over $35. 

I know all of this stuff looks expensive and when you add it all up together, it is. But the only thing I am needing to replace in the next month is the Josie Maran moisturizer. And everything else has MONTHS left. I wouldn't be surprised if I only bought once (maybe twice) a year. I believe in researching your products. I believe in talking to people who understand this stuff. Find why it works for some and not for others. Sephora is incredible about letting you take samples home to try. Just ask! 
I also changed my makeup but come back Friday for that (if your interested). I did a lot of research and spoke with different people on different products and found the right one for me and want to share in case your in the market for some new makeup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment