Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Swim lessons

Not sure if you have heard, but Bobby and I are building a pool. We are super stoked about it and building it to what we want. This house isn't our forever home, but it's a home will be in for a very long time so we wanted to build the pool for us and our children. But with building a pool, comes the fear of my kiddo not knowing how to swim. So as soon as we made the first down payment, and they started digging, I looked into swim lessons for Brody. I ended up choosing Aqua Tots in Mansfield and I am so glad I did. He goes twice a week and has had 4 lessons so far. I can already see a massive improvement. My whole goal for him is to if he was to fall in and I couldn't reach him in time to help, can he find a way to the wall or a stair and that is their goal for him as well. Teaching him to kick and reach and hold his breathe when he goes under. And not be afraid of the water either. They are also teaching him to sit on a stair and stay there. As well as sit on the side of the pool and stay there. To wait for a grown up. Once the pool is built (end of May is what they are saying), I will move his lessons to once a week since we will be playing in the pool all summer and he can continue learning. 

Here are a few pictures I snapped today from his class. I usually take video cause I like looking back to see his progress but today I snapped a few of what they are teaching him in case you are interested. 
These first set of photos he is brought out to the water by going under, he comes up and gets to his back, then turns around and goes back under to the step where he reaches for it to pull himself up. 







Here she is teaching to swim with his arms and kick his feet.



Waiting his turn and learning to sit

Then teaching him to float on his back and to hold himself in that position. In this position, he can breathe until someone can get to him. So if he can't quite make it to the edge of the pool or a step, he needs to learn to turn to his back and float for air. 



I have linked Aqua Tots so you can look them up yourself. They aren't cheap but both Bobby and I decided that didn't matter when it came to his safety. I chose to end Little Gym for the time being and we are doing this instead. Learning to swim is the most important lesson right now for him for this summer. I love how I am already seeing such improvement. Day one he cried half of class and clung to his teacher. Day two he sort of cried but not really. Day three he walked in himself and waved to me. And then today he was so excited and told me what he was going to do on the drive over. Even telling me the words his teacher uses in the water. I love that I chose this for him and I can't wait to see where he goes next in his lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment